What is Doppelte Haushaltsführung or Double Household Maintenance?

Doppelte Haushaltsführung, or double household maintenance, is a German concept that occurs when an individual maintains two households, one for their primary residence and another for work-related reasons.

This often results in additional financial burdens and logistical challenges.

Understanding the concept of Doppelte Haushaltsführung is crucial for individuals in such situations, as it can help them navigate the legal and financial implications, particularly in regard to tax deductions.


Reasons for Double Household Maintenance

There can be multiple reasons for Double household maintenance. Some of them are:

1. Work-related relocations

Some individuals may need to maintain a second household due to job relocation or new job opportunities that require them to live in a different city or region than their primary residence.

2. Family considerations

In some cases, individuals may choose to maintain a second household to avoid uprooting their family, especially if their partner has a job or their children are settled in schools in their original location.

3. Temporary assignments

Temporary work assignments or projects in another city or country may require an individual to maintain a second household for the duration of the assignment, even if their primary residence remains elsewhere.

The German Tax System and Doppelte Haushaltsführung

1. Legal basis and tax implications

In Germany, the tax system allows for deductions related to double household maintenance under certain conditions. These deductions help to offset the additional expenses incurred by maintaining two households.

2. Requirements for tax deductions

To qualify for Doppelte Haushaltsführung tax deductions, individuals must meet specific criteria, including maintaining a primary residence, having a secondary residence for work, and demonstrating employment-related necessity.

3. Types of expenses covered

Expenses that may be covered under Doppelte Haushaltsführung tax deductions include rent, utilities, travel costs, and certain household items for the secondary residence.

Eligibility Criteria for Doppelte Haushaltsführung Tax Deductions

1. Primary residence maintained

To qualify for tax deductions, an individual must maintain a primary residence separate from their work-related secondary residence.

This primary residence must continue to be used as the individual’s main home.

2. Secondary residence requirements

The secondary residence must be located near the individual’s place of employment and should be used primarily for work-related purposes.

3. Distance and travel time considerations

The distance and travel time between the primary and secondary residences should be significant enough to justify the need for a second household.

Do you have further questions?

Join our community of job seekers and expats from Germany. You can ask your doubts and get suggestions on topics related to getting a job in Germany and several other related topics.

4. Employment-related necessity

The need for a second residence must be directly related to an individual’s job requirements, such as a job relocation, temporary assignment, or long commute.


How to Claim Doppelte Haushaltsführung Deductions

1. Documentation and record-keeping

Individuals should maintain detailed records of their expenses related to double household maintenance, including rent receipts, utility bills, and travel expenses.

2. Filing your tax return

When filing a tax return, individuals should declare their double household maintenance expenses and provide the necessary documentation to support their claims.

3. Common mistakes to avoid

To maximize tax deductions and avoid issues with tax authorities, individuals should ensure they meet all eligibility criteria, accurately report their expenses, and avoid common pitfalls, such as failing to maintain proper documentation or incorrectly calculating deductible expenses.

Special Cases and Exceptions

1. Self-employed individuals

Self-employed individuals may also qualify for Doppelte Haushaltsführung tax deductions if they meet the necessary criteria and can demonstrate the work-related necessity of maintaining a second household.

2. International assignments

For individuals working on international assignments, double household maintenance deductions may still be applicable, but additional considerations related to cross-border taxation and reporting requirements must be taken into account.

It is essential to consult with a tax professional familiar with international tax laws to ensure compliance.

3. Job-related moves and marriage

In cases where a job-related move coincides with marriage, the tax authorities may scrutinize the claims for double household maintenance deductions.

Couples should be prepared to provide documentation proving the necessity of maintaining two households.


Understanding the concept of Doppelte Haushaltsführung and its tax implications can help individuals better plan and organize their finances, minimizing the financial burdens associated with maintaining two households.


By meeting the eligibility criteria and accurately claiming tax deductions for double household maintenance, individuals can potentially save a significant amount on their tax bills, making the challenging situation of maintaining two households more manageable.

In conclusion, Doppelte Haushaltsführung, or double household maintenance is a concept that can have significant financial implications for individuals maintaining two households for work-related reasons.

Understanding the legal and tax aspects of this situation is crucial for maximizing tax deductions and minimizing financial burdens.

By staying informed, organized, and consulting with tax professionals, individuals can navigate this complex area and make the most of the potential benefits available.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q. What is a second household?

A second household is a separate residence maintained by an individual at their place of work when the distance between their primary residence and workplace is too far for a daily commute.

The individual maintains their primary residence as their main home, where their family and friends live, while the second household is primarily used for work-related purposes.

Q. Can the rental cost of a second household be deducted from income tax?

Yes, individuals maintaining a second household can deduct the entire rental cost, including utilities, from their income tax, up to a maximum of 1,000 euros per month, provided they meet certain criteria.

Q. What are the requirements for maintaining two households?

The tax office requires the following five points to be met for an individual to be eligible for tax deductions related to double household maintenance: the second home must be used for professional purposes; the workplace must be nearer the second home than the main residence; another apartment must be maintained as the primary residence; the primary residence is the center of family life; and the individual must make a financial contribution of more than 10% of the costs incurred for the primary residence.

Q. Which costs for the second household can be deducted from tax?

Costs that can be deducted from tax for the second household include rent and utilities (up to a maximum of 1,000 euros per month), second household tax, broadcasting contributions, trips home, removal expenses, meal allowances, and furniture and furnishings within reasonable limits.

Q. How can I deduct the costs of trips home from my tax?

You can deduct the costs of your initial move-in and move-out trips to your second residence (maximum two trips) in full or at a flat rate of 30 cents per kilometer. Weekly trips home to your primary residence can be deducted using the flat rate of 30 cents per kilometer without providing receipts.

Q. Can I deduct telephone charges if I don’t commute home every weekend?

Yes, if you don’t commute home every weekend, you can deduct telephone charges for talking with family and friends proportionately from your tax. You can also use the telephone/internet flat rate of 20 euros per month as a flat rate.

Q. Are removal expenses for moving to a second household tax-deductible?

Yes, the costs of moving from home to the second home are fully deductible on the presentation of supporting documents. However, the removal costs of 730 euros (in 2016) cannot be used for the second home.

Q. Can meal allowances be claimed when maintaining a second household?

Yes, you can claim lump sums for meals for the first three months after moving into the second home, with a flat rate of 24 euros per day.

Q. What furniture and furnishings can be offset against tax for a second household?

The basic equipment of a second household, including a bed, desk, sofa, washing machine, oven/cooker, and lighting, can be offset against tax if the expenses are within reasonable limits.

If the costs per individual furnishing are not more than 800 euros (or 952 euros gross), they can be immediately and completely deducted. Higher costs can be claimed over a longer period of time.

Q. What is double household maintenance?

Double household maintenance, or doppelte Haushaltsführung, refers to the situation where an individual maintains two households, one for their primary residence and another for work-related reasons.

Employees with two households for professional reasons can deduct many of the additional expenses as income-related expenses on their annual tax return.

Q. How do I prove my financial contribution to my main residence?

Since 2014, you must provide evidence that you contribute financially to your main residence.

You need to demonstrate that your contribution to the running costs of the primary residence is more than 10% of the costs incurred.

Q. Can I deduct the second residence taxes (Zweitwohnsitzsteuer)?

Yes, many cities charge a tax for the second home, which can be fully deducted from your tax return.

Q. How can I claim the broadcasting fee (Rundfunkbeitrag) for my second residence?

The broadcasting fee can be claimed in full for your second residence if it’s already paid for at your main residence.

Q. What if the cost of a piece of furniture for my second household exceeds 800 euros (or 952 euros gross)?

If the cost of an individual furnishing exceeds 800 euros (or 952 euros gross), you can still claim the expense on your tax return, but it must be spread over a longer period of time, rather than being deducted immediately and completely.

Q. Can I claim room and board costs for my second household?

Yes, you can use the room and board flat rate of 24 euros per day (Verpflegungsmehraufwand) to deduct costs for meals and living expenses for the first three months after moving into your second residence.


1. What is a second household?
2. What exactly is double household maintenance?

Disclaimer: The information provided in this blog post is for general informational purposes only. We strongly advise readers to conduct their due diligence or consult with a professional legal or immigration consultant before taking any action based on the content of this post. "Germany Is Calling" or the author of this post does not assume any responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or applicability of the information provided.

4 thoughts on “What is Doppelte Haushaltsführung or Double Household Maintenance?”

  1. I’m working a different city from where I live. I don’t have a second apartment in city of work, but I’m paying Airbnbs /hotels every time I need to go to work in person. Can I deduce the costs from the Airbnb?

  2. Hi Paula

    You can try but as far as I know, you are eligible for the double household tax benefit if you have done the city registration on these addresses. Airbnbs usually are temporary stays and does not allow city registration (usually). You can still try or speak to a tax expert or even websites like Wundertax or Taxfix should be able to help in this case.

  3. Me and my wife are married and live in Belgium. My wife will take on a new job in Germany (= 800 km from our home in Belgium). I still have my job in Belgium and will stay in our own house in Belgium. My wife will move to Germany. Is the Double Household in this case accepted by German tax? And can I visit her as as much and as long as I want (as long as I don’t exceed the 182 days/year)?

Comments are closed.